For stronger protection of your data over the air, certain models of SATEL modems now include AES-128 encryption capabilities. This feature is available on the following models (please note new part numbers):
- SATELLINE-EASy Pro, p/n YM6813
- SATEL EASy-Proof, p/n YM6485
- SATELLINE-EASy with display, p/n YM6565
- SATELLINE-M3-TR1, p/n YM6315
How to Set Up Encryption
AES-128 encryption can be set up through Configuration Manager (to download Configuration Manager, please go to Support>Software on our website). Set up must be done through a PC; set up cannot be completed through the keypad and display on the radio. To set up through Configuration Manager, connect your radio to the PC, open Configuration Manager, and follow the following steps:
- Go to the Modem Settings tab
- Click on the Misc Settings sub-tab
- In the Encryption box, set OTA Encryption to ON
- Under Password enter your password of choice. NOTE: make sure your password is memorable or kept in a safe place, as there is no way to retrieve your password once it is entered (if you forget or lose the password, a new password will need to be set for all radios in your system).
- Click Generate & Save New Keys
- Repeat for all other radios in the system. NOTE: As a safe check across radios, the key hash will match on all radios with matching password. The key hash is NOT the password, but instead is an indicator: if the key hash is different on one radio in your system, the password was entered incorrectly and should be redone.
Note that the LCD does not include any information or indication of the encryption or settings. Encryption support can be verified from the Firmware version. In Configuration Manager, when you go to Radio Modem Info, under Firmware Version it will list the version number, followed by “ENCRYPTION” or “CRYPT” or “CRYPT SURV”.
Will a new radio with encryption work with my current radios without encryption?
Radios with the AES-128 encryption feature are fully compatible with equivalent SATEL radio modem products when the encryption is set to OFF (Note: the factory default for the encryption feature is always OFF).
Does encryption work in Survey Mode?
CRYPT SURV firmware is available on our website (go to Support>Firmware). You can update/downgrade the firmware version between CRYPT and CRYPT SURV versions without issue.
Can my current equipment be upgraded?
You cannot update your standard firmware SATELLINE radio modems to the AES-supporting firmware in the field. Your equipment can be upgraded by the Satel factory. Please contact us for lead times and pricing.
Who can I contact for support?
Please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org or 408-973-1740.